Gel Polish Application
1. All of our Gel Polishes will require a shake prior to use. Do that at this stage with your base, top & colour/s you are planning on using.
2. Using a natural nail file, shape your nails at your free edge. Ensure you file out any rough edges. It is not advised that you file away shine on your natural nail. You should only need to do this if you experience lifting & even then only as a last option after trying Primer. If you do need to file off the shine, use a 240 grit or higher nail file & very very lightly do this. We want to preserve the natural nail as much as we can. Over filing the nail will cause nail damage & may be a reason for your Gel Polish to lift.
3. Push your cuticles back using a metal cuticle scraper. As you are doing this, ensure to remove true cuticle from the nail plate.
4. Dab some Cleanser Plus (or Isopropyl Alcohol, an alcohol swipe does the same job) onto a lint free cotton wipe (Soft Landings are ideal for this) & very thoroughly wipe the nail plate clean of any oils, dust etc.
5. Apply Colour Me Pretty Primer very thinly & sparingly to the entire nail. Be very careful not to let it touch your cuticles & side walls. Over use of primer can cause lifting. Allow the primer to dry, 30 secs or so.** Please note, use of Primer is not essential, it can assist you if you are experiencing lifting.
6. Apply a very thin layer of Colour Me Pretty Base Coat to your nail plate. Ensure you do not come into contact with your side walls, cuticles or surrounding skin. Seal / Cap your free edge by running your bottle brush along the tip of your nail. If product does come into contact with your skin use a cuticle pusher or an orange wood stick to wipe off the product. Never cure your nails if you have product on your side walls or skin, this will eventually lead to skin reactions & can leave you in extreme pain.
7. Cure Base Coat in lamp. For LED Lamp 30 secs, for UV Lamp 1 minute.
8. Apply a very thin layer of your colour coat, again taking care not to come into contact with your sidewalls, cuticle or surrounding skin. Ensure you Cap / Seal the free edge.
9. Cure in Lamp. For LED Lamp 1 minute, for UV Lamp 2 minutes.
10. Apply a second thin layer of your colour coat, again taking care not to come into contact with your sidewalls, cuticle or surrounding skin. Ensure you Cap / Seal the free edge.
11. Cure in Lamp. For LED Lamp 1 minute, for UV Lamp 2 minutes.
12. Review your gel polish to determine if a 3rd coat is required. If so repeat steps 10 & 11. If not continue to step 13.
13. Apply a very thin layer of Colour Me Pretty Top Coat to your nail plate. Ensuring you do not come into contact with your side walls, cuticles or surrounding skin. Seal / Cap your free edge by running your bottle brush along the tip of your nail. If product does come into contact with your skin use a cuticle pusher or an orange wood stick to wipe off the product.
14. Cure in Lamp. For LED Lamp 1 minute, for UV Lamp 2 minutes.
15. Remove the tacky layer by using cleanser plus on a lint free wipe. If you used Colour Me Pretty No Wipe Top Coat, skip this step.
16. Apply cuticle oil, gently massage into your nail & surrounding skin. If cuticle oil dulls your Top Coat Shine then just wash your hands with water.
You will now have long lasting endurable fingernails for a minimum of 2 weeks.
BUILDER GEL APPLICATION
1. Prep Nails: Shape Free Edge, Push Cuticles Back, Dehydrate Nails using Cleanser & or use Primer.
2. Apply 1 coat of Colour Me Pretty Base Coat. Cure
3. Using a Gel Brush, dip into the builder gel & pick up a small amount on the end of the brush. As the Gel is very “goopy” you may need to twirl the brush around in your fingers several times, much like twirling spaghetti, so the gel on the end of the brush breaks free from the gel in the container.
4. Apply to your nail bed, keeping it off your cuticles. The Builder Gel will level itself out once applied, if you find it is too thick in one area you can manipulate it with your brush, however sometimes it is best to let it settle for a few seconds to see where it ends up. Because of this self-levelling I would recommend to do 2 nails then cure. Cure for 1 minute with LED and 2 minutes for UV.
5. Once cured, if you are happy with the finish, continue on to painting your colour coat as per normal. There is no need to use Base Coat.
6. If you find your Gel has set thicker in some parts of the nail bed, you can use a file to file it down until you are happy with the finish. Prior to filing I would remove the tacky layer so as not to ruin your file.
7. If you find you want it thicker, simply repeat from step 2.
GEL POLISH & BUILDER GEL REMOVAL
There are several ways to remove our products. It really is a personal choice as to which method you prefer. All of our products are soak off. We find that by filing off the top layer of your Gel Polish or Builder Gel, this helps to speed up any of our removal processes. **Please Note, Glitter colours and thick applications will take longer to remove.
1. Simply tear off the perforated end of the wrap.
2. Secure the wrap over your fingertip. You can use the plastic strip that comes with the wrap to do this. Repeat step 1 & 2 on each finger.
3. To speed up the removal process you can apply a warmed up heat pack to the tips of your fingers over the removal wrap whilst soaking.
4. After 10 mins, gently remove a wrap and using a cuticle pusher or an orange wood stick lightly scrape at the polish. If you need to use force to remove the colour, then it is not ready, continue soaking & repeat this step every 5 minutes.
1. Cut up Aluminium Foil in sizes that you will be able to secure around each individual finger.
2. Soak a cotton ball with Acetone & place onto your nail.
3. Secure a piece of Foil around your finger. Repeat steps 1 & 2 on each finger.
4. To speed up the removal process you can apply a warmed up heat pack to the tips of your fingers over the Foil whilst soaking.
5. After 10 mins, gently remove one piece of Foil & using a cuticle pusher or an orange wood stick lightly scrape at the polish. If you need to use force to remove the colour, then it is not ready, continue soaking & repeat this step every 5 minutes.
HELPFUL HINTS & TIPS FOR GEL POLISH
* The key to a DIY Gel Polish Manicure is Preparation – Prep your nails thoroughly & you should get a minimum 2 weeks wear from your polish. These instructions are merely a guide to assist you & are based on my own personal experience for application & removal.
* Please note, it is your responsibility to check the ingredients listed on products to ensure you do not have an allergic reaction to any of the products.
* People who are photo sensitive, have been known to get a skin reaction from using UV Lamps. The use of LED Lamps has to date, to my knowledge not caused such reactions. However I recommend if this is applicable to you, you should seek medical advice prior to use.
* Always keep your coats very thin. This reduces the chances of the product wrinkling, ensures proper curing & aids in perfect application. Remember you can always apply an extra coat if needed.
* Remember to always shake your bottles thoroughly for at least 30 secs prior to use.
* If you are not happy with the way a coat has been applied you can always wipe it off prior to curing, & begin again. Wiping off an uncured coat does not affect any coats you have previously applied & cured.
* Whilst Gel Polish is an absolutely awesome product & its durability outlasts that of any regular polish, some factors can inhibit it from reaching its full potential. Some Cleaning Products are known to eat into the polish & cause it to chip or peel. When using cleaning products or washing dishes it is advised to wear gloves.
* If your nails are damaged or infected you should seek the advice from a medical professional before using our products. At no time whatsoever should you apply Gel Polish over the top of a bleeding or open wound to the nail plate or nail bed. This can & will lead to infections & may result in you losing a fingernail completely, as well as causing you to become very sick.
* If you file your nails once the top coat has been sealed & cured you are effectively breaking the seal & leaving the polish exposed which may cause lifting or peeling.
* Pastel & Nude Colours require less brush strokes. Gel Polish self levels. Be patient with these colours. Apply & then let it sit for a couple of seconds. The Gel Polish will level itself out. If you keep applying product to fix any “wishy washy” finishes you will create more problems for yourself. Remember it is best to keep each coat very thin & do an extra coat, than it is to apply your coats thick.
* Never apply Gel Polish outdoors or near a window. UV Rays from the sun will cure & ruin your product. UV Rays are around even on an over cast day. Protect your products by tinting any windows in your salons or using block out blinds.
* Gel Polish should be stored away from windows.
* Assess your desk space when you begin your application. Are your curing lamps facing away from where you are applying product?
* If you are using a Lamp that has not been purchased from Colour Me Pretty, ensure you check with your lamp supplier as to the wavelength that the lamp emits.
Colour Me Pretty Gel will cure thoroughly in lamps with the following specifications –
UV – 200nm-400nm for 2 minutes
LED – 400nm – 450nm for 1 minute
Keep In Mind “Your Nails Are Jewels Not Tools”
treat them kindly & they will last.